Gemma Schiebe is a Fine Artist based in South Wales. She is primarily a painter and works in predominantly oil paint as well as creating drawings and using collage as a method of art making. Gemma uses the environment as an inspiration for her practice and is interested in Landscape and Nature. Her current practice explores the world around us, landscape broadly and more specific themes and approaches such as contrasting the natural landscape with imagery associated with environmental harm. Nostalgia for traditional paintings of the sublime landscape is challenged and the landscape format adapted. In July 2016, Gemma achieved a First Class Fine Art Degree from Cardiff School of Art and Design, Cardiff Metropolitan University.
- GCSE Art and Design: Fine Art, A* – July 2010
- GCSE Design and Technology, A* – July 2010
- A Level Fine Art, A – July 2012
- A Level Design and Technology, A – July 2012
- Foundation Diploma in Art and Design, MERIT – July 2013
- BA (HONS) Fine Art – Degree – First Class – July 2016
- Artist in Residence – Cyprus College of Art, Lempa, Cyprus, June 2016
- Zulu Artist Residency – Involved documenting a Zulu visit to Wales. Drawing and Sketching performances they did in theatres and rehearsals, photographing the visit and making notes. The information collected will be used to make a painting to be displayed in an exhibition as a documentation of and homage to their visit.
- Fine Art Student Prize 2016 – Awarded by Head of Fine Art at Cardiff School of Art and Design.
- Art Gallery Employee – Relevant responsibilities include: Arts Admin, Working with Artists, Curation of Artwork/Exhibitions, Part time Managerial roles, Art Sales Assistant, Artistic and Creative services. Ardent Gallery, Brecon.
- Invigilator – Art Gallery Invigilation – Diffusion Festival, Cardiff International Photography Festival. Ffotogallery, Penarth.
- Arts Fundraiser – Fundraising for Cardiff School of Art and Design Degree Show 2016. Including organising and curating The Affordable Art Auction/Exhibition at g39 gallery, Cardiff.
- Open Art Exhibition coordinator and Administrator for Ardent Gallery Summer Open Exhibition 2017. Organised an Open Art Exhibition. Tasks included everything from writing terms and conditions to drawing up contracts, receiving applications from all over the UK and selecting successful applicants. Hanging the exhibition and marketing artwork and artists on social media etc. Ardent Gallery, Brecon
- Arts and Craft Teaching Volunteer – Working with Children to create successful Art and Craft Projects in an after school club environment. Adamsdown Play Centre, Howard Gardens, Cardiff.
- Volunteer Artist – Volunteering drawing and painting murals in the enclosures of rescue animals to enhance the look of the facility and encourage visitors to an owl sanctuary with minimal funding. Ebbw Vale Owl Sanctuary, Festival Park, Ebbw Vale.
- EMBOSS MAGAZINE: International/Global Art Magazine: The Nature Issue, 4 page feature covering me as an artist and my artwork. 123 page magazine including me as one of many artists from all over the world.
- Brecon and Radnor Express Newspaper: Articles covering my Solo Art Exhibition and Group Exhibitions.
- The Local Beacon: Local Talent: Artist Interview
- ART REVEAL MAGAZINE: Issue 35, Page 70-76, Included as a featured artist, images of my work and an interview are published in the magazine alongside artists from many countries across the world.
- One of the Artists in The Vaults Art Collective. Working in The Vaults Art Studio, Brecon.
- Member of Arts Alive Wales Creative Network
Exhibitions, Art Events
- Foundation in Art and Design Exhibition – Cardiff Arts Academy, Cardiff 2013
- Works Displayed at Ardent Gallery, Brecon 2014-2015
- Cathays Library Exhibition, Cathays Library, Cardiff October 2014
- Brecon Women’s Festival Exhibition, The Muse, Brecon March 2015
- Affordable Art Auction, g39 Gallery, Cardiff, December 2015
- Cardiff School of Art and Design Fine Art Degree Show, Cardiff Metropolitan University, Llandaff Campus, May 2016
- 10th Anniversary Open Exhibition, Art Central Gallery, Barry, October 2016-January 2017
- Small Art for Acorns Exhibition, Blue-Ginger Gallery, Cradley, West Midlands, October 2016
- Christmas Collection Exhibition, Andrew Lamont Gallery, Theatre Brycheiniog, Brecon, November 2016
- Postcards from Life Exhibition 2016, in aid of St Michael’s Hospice, Bishops Palace, Hereford, November 2016
- Christmas Art Fair, Andrew Lamont Gallery, Theatre Brycheiniog, Brecon, December 2016
- Under the Bed Sale 2017, Cupola Contemporary Art Gallery, Sheffield, January 2017
- SOLO EXHIBITION, Gemma Schiebe – Contemporary Landscape: An Attraction to an Endangered Environment, The Muse Arts Centre, Brecon, February 2017
- Brecon Women’s Festival Exhibition 2017, Andrew Lamont Gallery, Theatre Brycheiniog, Brecon, March 2017
- Crickhowell Open Art Exhibition 2017, Oriel Cric Gallery, Crickhowell, May – July 2017
- Brecon Town Open Studios 23rd June – 24th June 2017 – Opening my Studio Space as part of The Vaults Art Collective to the Public to view finished works and works in progress.
- Ardent Gallery Summer Open Art Exhibition 2017 – 6th July 2017 – 3rd August 2017
- “Now that’s what I call Art” Exhibition, Laura I Gallery, Abbey Road, Barking LONDON, 7th – 23rd September 2017
- Response to Zulu Visit – Art Exhibition, The Guild Hall, Brecon, 10th March 2018
- Brecon Women’s Festival Art Exhibition 2018, The hours, Brecon – 1st – 31st March 2018